Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saints Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen coloring page


Continuing preparing pages for the first installation of the Liturgical Calendar Coloring Book which I'll send out this coming January. January 2nd is the feast of St. Basil of Caesarea and St. Gregory Nazianzen, and I wasn't sure what to draw; most pictures I've seen of them, they're just standing there, and I didn't know any colorful legends, just masterful theological writings.

So I started reading their letters to each other and the funeral oration, and found it's a very sweet and very sad story. Saints are not exempt from bitter misunderstanding, wretched passive-aggressiveness, and heartbreaking, needn't-have-happened fights between those who are closest. And that made me decide to show them when they were young, before they were bishops, before all the heretics attacked, before emperors threatened and banished, before the rift between them, on the banks of the Iris River.




Or maybe it's after...

No comments: